What Makes Spotlight Programs Different?
Spotlight English programs are made for people who are learning English. They are easier to understand.
Our programs serve learners in two ways.
- They help people develop their English.
- They talk about subjects that can improve the lives of listeners and their communities.
The audio and video programs use a method called 'Specialized English'.
Compared with 'normal' English broadcasting, Specialized English uses:
- fewer words (our word list has 1500 words; we explain other words when we need them)
- slower speed (about 90 words per minute, or half the normal speaking speed)
- shorter sentences (mostly, one idea per sentence).
Specialized English is based on VoA’s Special English, but is not endorsed by VoA. Both use 1500 words, but Spotlight and VoA’s word lists are a little different.
For more information, please see the Wikipedia page for 'Specialized English'.
NOTICE: All Spotlight scripts, audio, video, logo and name are for individual education purposes only, and are the sole copyright of SpotlightEnglish.com unless otherwise noted. None of our materials are to be reproduced, re-broadcast, or used on any other website, radio station, app, etc. without express written permission of Spotlight English.
Who makes Spotlight?
Spotlight is a group of followers of Jesus who are writers, editors, producers, and broadcasters. Spotlight makes audio and video English programs to serve people learning English everywhere in the world.
Spotlight is part of a not-for-profit organization. We receive support from individuals who want to help English learners.